Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Sunday Shocker

Well, that was an unexpected outcome last night. I mean, who could have predicted that? I guess past success doesn't guarantee future results. Seriously, who would have bet money that...the Super Bowl commercials would have stunk so bad?

Oh, there was big game? I feel it pretty much spoke for itself: monumental upset, perfection derailed, legend born, possibly the greatest Super Bowl ever, blah, blah, blah. The bigger upset was that the ads barely made me smile, let alone chuckle or , God forbid, laugh out loud. Now, it might have been that I spent the first quarter lowering my blood pressure after nearly choking the counter jockey that screwed up our pizza order, but I didn't enjoy many of this year's big ads.

The only ad that made me actually laugh was the giant rat that jumped out of the wall to pummel the Doritos guy. Maybe that man in a rat suit was also the cause of the 75 person brawl that broke out in a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant over the weekend. Other than that ad, I was practically stonefaced. A baby threw up on the keyboard after buying stock. Hahahaha. The cavemen don't know how to use the wheel they just invented. That's a real knee slapper. Oh look, giant carrier pigeons are ruining the city. Thanks, but I've seen Cloverfield. Wait, he sneezes fire? Stop it, my sides hurt. It's a good thing that Tom Petty rocked the house and that the game was outstanding.

One note about the game: Do you think Bill Belichik would have passed on a 49-yard field goal attempt in the third quarter if he still had Adam Vinatieri, the greatest clutch kicker of all time? Sometimes you have to pay for peace of mind, Genius.

9 comments:

Angela said...

You're right... the commercials sucked, and the game really didn't get started until the 4th quarter. Lucky me, I picked the Giants to win and was able to split a 4 way tie for 1st place in our football pool. I thought it was great to see Peyton cheering on his younger brother, who has always been in Peyton's shadow. It was also nice to see the cocky Brady get sacked so many times!!! Other then watching the "brotherly love" it was pretty boring. Also, I'm sure Peyton can't stand N.E. and was eager to see them fall.

Bryan H said...

I don't agree that the game didn't get started until the 4th. I thought it was well played throughout. Just like a pitchers' duel or a 1-0 hockey game, a defensive battle can be beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I liked the Budweiser clydesdale commercial. Although until about half way through I thought it was going to be a Miller Lite commercial since I last remember the dog jumping from the trailer to the miller lite truck in a previous commercial.

Angela said...

Yes, a defensive game all the way. I just like to see the offense do something and score some points. I really thought it was going to be a high scoring game, that's why I thought it was boring. I think I even had a total of 63 points in a football pool.

Bryan H said...

Kevin, I was also looking for the Miller Lite twist.

Rob said...

'I was also looking for the Miller Lite twist'.... thanks for reminding me of the great 'twist to open' Miller Lite spot...

Bryan H said...

rob-now those were funny ads

Anonymous said...

Tom Petty 'rocked the house'? I thought he looked barely thawed...

And there _was_ a commercial that made me laugh, really hard, but like most Superbowls I don't remember what it was about or who it was for. Damn beer.

Bryan H said...

St4rbux-I'm a little biased, Tom Petty is my favorite rocker. I think what I was happiest about was that we weren't subjected to some mad scientist concoction of Britney Spears meets Aerosmith or some such crap that has been forced on us in the past.