Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Summer Greed, Make Me Feel Fine.

I am trying to decide who is stealing more money this summer, Roger Clemens or the producers of Spiderman 3 ? Why does Hollywood want to turn our superheroes into pouting wussies? What happened to brooding bad asses? Why have I started this post with four straight questions?

Movie Spidey has joined Movie Superman as a hero with feelings. Well, I could use my superhero movies with a little less weeping and a whole lot less dancing. I'm sure there were a half dozen romantic comedies that I could have attended had I wanted to watch a relationship flick. What's next? Maybe the Incredible Hulk will scrape his knee and his mommy will kiss his boo-boo. Maybe the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman can go on Dr Phil to discuss their on again-off again relationship. The worst part about Spiderman 3, however, is that even when it sticks to the superhero stuff it doesn't succeed. Bloated with tree villians, bad jokes and ho-hum action made this latest installment average at best. Thanks Sam Raimi for destroying my second favorite superhero.

As for that "real" hero, Roger Clemens, I don't even know where to begin. The guy plays by his own rules, deciding when and where he'll come back to pitch. He has teams falling all over themselves to pay him millions for half a season. After signing a contract with the Yankees that will pay him $4.5 million per month, he had the balls to say "If you think it's about the money, you are greatly mistaken." Well Rocket, I guess I'm as wrong as I'll ever be because I'm pretty sure you did it for the money. If it was for the love of the game I'm thinking you might have cut the Boss some slack. Of course it was for the money and the giant ego stroke that he needs every spring. GM Brian Cashman should get off his knees.

As for the ridiculous amount of money, I'm not going to argue that point. I think we can stipulate that athletes are overpaid. (However, I don't blame them for cashing in on what the market will bear. They are skilled pros that can do things many of us cannot. Besides, as long as I pay high ticket prices and drink $7 ballpark beers I wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on.) I would rather argue the merits of paying about $18 mil to a soon-to-be 45 year old pitcher. Actually, with the luxury tax the Yyankees pay, the 4.5 per month really costs Big Stein $6.3 per. Clemens has been outstanding the last two years, but he has a balky hamstring that isn't getting any younger. The Yanks were only a fistful of games out of first when they made the move. Not exactly panic time. I also wonder if Clemens maintains enough goodwill in that clubhouse to ward off jealousy about his special status. In order to spend more time with his family, Clemens is only required to be with the team on the days he pitches. Nice gig if you can get it. Hopefully, he'll pull his hammie and his tongue in his first start. of course, if he does that early Big Stein will just find another mercenary to bring on board. When you are playing with Yankee dollars, the rules are different.

10 comments:

birdie said...

I agree with the soppy superheroes stuff. Everyone decides they have to have a story so everyone can enjoy it. Hated it about the Matrix. Will most likely hate it about Spidey, if we ever watch it. Bond went away from it, and proved it can work.

ROBOTIMMS said...

"Bloated with TREE villians..." holy crap is he fighting evil lumberjacks!?! Hehe.

Yeah, I think thats overkill. There is way too much going on in this one. Never mind the back story and tree villians, the whole Black suit story is a movie on it's own. Rami blew that by rushing it all through this film.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like somebody is a little jealous of the Yankees. BTW, his salary + luxury tax is more than the Devil Rays entire payroll for the season.

Anonymous said...

havent seen spidey3 yet. touted as being dark and action packed...apparently does not deliver.

as for clemens, baseball now is no longer important to me. what with a bona fide cheater chasing an all time record; clemens the flip flopping, selfish, egotistical, HIDEOUSLY overpaid old dork, and peter angelos ruining my once favorite team, i really hate MLB now. the league is a complete farce now. fans need to go on strike...seriously

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the money "we" are willing to pay for entertainment. Hell, for half what Big Stein is paying, I'm available. With a younger hamstring! LOL

Moving on ... It seems to me that the theater industry is in a state of organized chaos. The monetary performance the studios need to achieve in a very short period of time have made this more about business than entertainment. Kinda like the Yankees and Rocket, studios are willing to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in marketing and production to guarantee a number one result for the weekend - regardless of what that number one spot generates. The impact on a studio's stock price can be incredible ... in either direction depending on the results of a few highly anticipated films.

It's a shame that our beloved superheores have become unwitting pawns in the bigger game of wall street.

Anonymous said...

hey birdie(brent),
maybe bonds is clean now but for how long was he on the juice? we'll never know. bottom line is his records should all have asterisks.

Bryan H said...

Bonds is a dork,
I pretty sure Birdie was referring to James Bond, not barry Bonds. Considering that he never mentioned baseball in his comment I'm pretty sure I'm right about that.

birdie said...

I was talking about 007, not the cheating punk that now plays on the left coast and stole an MVP from Bonilla when they were with the Pirates. I think I've watched maybe 40 innings of MLB in the past 2 years, including attending a game. The whole overpaid athlete thing is getting annoying. I love college sports, and that too is starting to get tainted, but nothing is being done about it (See Reggie Bush and family.)

My point was that Bond, James Bond, may have a few small mushy scenes, but nothing too soppy. I realize he's not a superhero, but he's still a badass. I want action and adventure from my action/adventure movies. Gone are the days of Indiana, Rambo, John McClane...That's why I still watch the old Bond movies when they are on.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Birdie and Bry. I want my men to be men not whining, pouting, doubtful metro sexually dressed versions of my friends that are girls. There are a number of movies LABELED romantic comedy for that....and even then I would like to be able to parse the differences between the male and female characters.

I am a girl and if I go to an action adventure flick I want raw, ranting emotion, hard bodies, stupid ridiculous risk taking and I-am-sucking-it-up-for-mankind with heavy weaponry heroism with no apologies.

Go Lord of the Rings!

Rob said...

they named the dog Indiana...