Tuesday, September 02, 2008

An Exhibition Not A Competition, So Please, Please No Wagering.

Though I don't usually make sports prognostications, I thought I would make some NFL predictions this year. Instead of just picking season records for each team without looking at the schedule, I went through the schedule and predicted each game. That left me with, what I think are, more realistic results. Some of the records I came up with really surprised me. I could be way wrong, but the NFL always has at least one surprise team so maybe I won't be as wrong as I think. I'll pick my Super Bowl champ too, but I'll probably make real playoff predictions come January. (Full disclosure- the Cowboys are my favorite team and I despise the Eagles and Redskins.)

AFC East
Pats 14-2, Bills 12-4, Jets 10-6, Dolphins 2-14

AFC South
Colts 11-5, Jaguars 11-5, Titans 9-7, Texans 8-8

AFC North
Steelers 9-7, Bengals 7-9, Browns 6-10, Ravens 3-13

AFC West
Chargers 10-6, Broncos 6-10, Raiders 4-12, Chiefs 4-12

Playoff teams-Pats, Colts, Chargers, Steelers, Jags, Bills

NFC East
Cowboys 12-4, Eagles 12-4, Redskins 10-6, Giants 9-7

NFC South
Panthers 14-2, Saints 9-7, Bucs 8-8, Falcons 4-12

NFC North
Vikings 10-6, Packers 9-7, Bears 6-10, Lions 3-13

NFC West
Seahawks 10-6, Rams 5-11, Cardinals 4-12, 49ers 4-12

Playoff teams-Cowboys, Vikings, Panthers, Seahawks, Eagles, Redskins

Super Bowl Prediction- Colts over Eagles

The highlights:
*Every team in the NFC East, except the defending Super Bowl champ Giants, will make the playoffs.
*Brett Favre will help the Jets improve greatly, but not enough to make the playoffs.
*The Packers, with Aaron Rogers in place of Brett Favre, will have a decent but far worse season than last year.
*The Panthers (I can't believe I came up with a 14-2 record) will have the best record in the NFC, but will not be the best team.
*The Bills will surprise everyone by making a deep playoff run.

2 comments:

Gladiator35 said...

Not bad. I would agree with most of your predictions. The only changes would be the Pats, Bills, Panthers, and Eagles. I believe they are all over rated this year. The Cards are underrated.

How 'bout them COWBOYS!

Anonymous said...

To be fair, I think Bryan is the only one overrating the Bills. I haven't seen anybody else even talking playoffs, especially if Peters doesn't play. I'm thinking 6-10 maybe.