Thursday, June 29, 2006

Scope Me!

So I found out Wednesday that I need arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my left knee. On one hand, I'm relieved to solve the mystery of why me knee has been in intermittent pain (sometimes incredibly painful, sometimes just a little bothersome) for the last 6-8 months. After visiting a bunch of docs and being prescribed some apparently useless physical therapy I was finally permitted to get the MRI that revealed the tear. The medical system/insurance industry really ticked me off with this one, but that's beside the point.

The real point of this post is to solicit some information. I'm looking for first hand experience with meniscus tears. The doc says this is a minimally invasive procedure that has a very short downtime. I talked to a co-worker that had the almost identical injury and he said his recovery time (to resume most activities) was only about a week. He also said it was very cool to be able to watch, under light sedation, the camera trolling around in your knee. So I'm seeking others' experiences to see if their cases are similar.

(And Killer, I suppose this is justice about ten years later.)

2 comments:

The Bass Player's Wife said...

My Dad (65) had his done late last year. He was sore a few days, but completely mobile. He was back to work two days after surgery, even at his age. Not exactly firsthand, I realise, but nevertheless,some experience.

Bryan H said...

thanks, tbpw..every bit of info helps