Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Doctors discover group of idiots that share same brain.

The Magic, Schwann's Man, The Boughner, The Boot, There I was.... On Ass, Dead Squirrel, Bob Melvin, Fred the Red, Cold.....Cold...Too Loud,Bean Soup Disaster....

Some people reading those phrases are laughing, some nodding knowingly, others are perplexed. To many, these are random phrases. To those in the know, these are but some of the words that are part of a shorthand that my friends and I have unintentionally developed over years of shared experiences and shared memories. Let me explain.

While reading some of our recent blog posts and comments I realized that my group of friends and I really do talk in some sort of code. A point can be made and understood with very few actual words communicated. For example, we don't have to say "Hey, remember that time Chris broke those two dishes by throwing them in my sink and shouted "Two Plates". No, instead, all one of us has to say is "Two plates!" and it is immediately known what he is referring to. This comes from retelling and reliving (usually accompanied by much weary eye-rolling from wives who have heard the stories way too many times) the same old great stories over and over. It also stems from the fact that collectively we are a bunch of goofballs. And it's not just storytelling; we might be able to point out or relate an observation with one of the short phrases that, while technically not related, can make something immediately understood. (I can't think of an example, but trust me, it happens.)

On more than one occasion my friend Vaughn and I have had a conversation that will leave us howling with laughter while leaving our wives asking each other if they have any idea what we are talking about. In the same vein, I am convinced that some of my friends and I could have a conversation consisting entirely of movie dialogue and somehow communicate some relevant information. I guess I'm lucky to have good buddies with whom I can enjoy good times and relive the glory days. They will understand that I must now ABORT, ABORT!

8 comments:

Rob said...

Cool now... hush, hush. You have definately captured the spirit of it.

Oh, and I sensed that the abort was coming and in turn, aborted early... in the nick of time, to three legged race back to the escape vehicle.

Three toed and lovin' it...

wolske said...

why does it seem that all my quotes were uttered when drunken? wait, don't tell me.

I can't believe you didn't include any of Killer's quotes. That's assinine!

ROBOTIMMS said...

I don't know who left THE BOOT, but I'll BLAME IT ON THE BOUGHNER!


Bravo my friend, bravo. It's funny, just the other night we had a three-way FOG and I had to comment on The FOG and to try and explain it was simply..."Well one time me and Bryan and uh, paint peeled off the walls and uh, well..." Fortunately Tara's pretty hip to the lingo.

Bryan H said...

I'm thinking of compiling a list, sort of like a glossary that a person could have used if they hung around KNK Vending and friends during that era. Believe me, I thought of a whole bunch of others that I could have thrown in that sample list.

Rob said...

I like the glossary idea... I love to Learn. Just don't drop that heavy list on one of those weak Hog Neck tables... they might break, and that just might be louder than a B.Dalton wheelchair fart.

Bryan H said...

I love to learn because EDUCATION IS BOSS!

Rob said...

Barbeque Sauuuuuuceeeee!

ROBOTIMMS said...

Boredism, compiling a list like that you must be sitting with your boredism!