Monday, March 12, 2007

Simon Says: Try To Behead Opponent

I waited to post about Chris Simon's classless slash until the NHL handed down its punishment. A twenty-five game suspension may be the biggest ever delivered, but I think it is still too small. This is Simon's sixth career suspension so there is certainly a pattern here. The blow he delivered to Hollweg's mush would have been prosecution-worthy had it happened on a street corner. (This does not mean, however, that I think Simon should be charged criminally for his on-ice action as has been suggested by some.) I find it laughable that the NHL weighed the extent of Hollweg's injuries during its decision making. Hollweg (and Simon) was lucky that the blow caught mostly chin, not throat or eyes and nose. Intent, not the severity of resulting injury, should be the determining factor. Sit Simon down for an entire season if you really want to send the correct message, which is that there is no place in the game for using your stick in such a manner. It shows a total lack of respect for your opponent and the game of hockey. Then I heard this tidbit on Sportscenter this morning (though I have not seen the actual quote so maybe what Simon actually said isn't this bad)- Simon said he was concussed (by Hollweg's hit) in the moments preceding his stick swinging and didn't really know what he was doing when he cracked Hollweg in the face. Whatever.

BUT...
My feelings on this issue make me feel like a hypocrite for two reasons. First, like almost everyone who has played hockey on any level, I have lashed out in anger or frustration at an opponent. I have never whacked anybody severely with my stick, but I do understand that moment when you fly hot about a hit or dirty play.

Secondly, I have always felt that fighting has a positive role in NHL hockey. I don't condone fighting for the sake of fighting, but I have long believed that is better to have players police themselves with fists so that dangerous stick infractions don't occur. Then a lunkhead like Simon goes and crosses that threshold of respect for an opponent. The original hit on Simon may have been dirty, but he cannot respond in the way he did. If Simon wanted to fight Hollweg, fine. Anything more than dropping the gloves is unacceptable.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris Simon's written statement:
"After watching the tape the morning after Thursday's game, I was disgusted. There is absolutely no place in hockey for what I did.

I want to apologize to Ryan Hollweg. I was grateful to learn that Ryan is okay and that he returned to the game. My hope is to reach out to him in the near future.

I want to apologize to my team and Islanders fans everywhere. My actions Thursday night played a major part in our team losing a crucial game. I also want to apologize to the National Hockey League for the damage I have caused this great game of ours.

What you saw Thursday is not the person, player and competitor that I am. I know my teammates and opponents over my 14 years in the NHL understand that.

I do not remember much about Thursday's incident. When I saw the tape on Friday morning, it explained a lot to me when I saw the look on my face after being hit into the boards. I was completely out of it. When I met with the media about 30 minutes later, I still was not feeling well.

I met with our medical staff briefly Thursday night and underwent a series of tests on Friday afternoon. They have told me that I suffered a concussion when I hit the boards. Because I was not cleared by our doctors to travel, I would like to thank Colin Campbell for travelling to New York for today's hearing.

I need to make clear that this is not justification for the danger I put Ryan Hollweg in and the damage I have caused the game. I understand disciplinary action will be taken.

Since Ryan is thankfully okay, what hurts the most is knowing my actions will result in me losing the privilege of being in the Islanders lineup.

Finally, I want to thank my Islanders teammates for their support throughout this process. It means everything to me."

Anonymous said...

Call me a sucker, but I think the concussion explains part of the response. Like you Bryan, I've lashed out on the ice after I've been hit or fouled, and I've NEVER been hit as hard as the guys in the NHL. So the combination of reactive behavior and maybe a bit concussive makes sense to me.

What was the most offensive hockey incident before this? Probably McSorley whacking Brashear. McSorley's attack was not the same kind of reactive action, it seemed premeditated. So comparatively, I'd say this isn't the dirtiest thing to happen to hockey. Simon's statement sounds sincere, and he'll have a long time to think about it.

That said, he should probably be suspended for a full season. Does he get paid to sit? -- his pay should be withheld as well. If pay isn't withheld, some substantial fine should be levied (maybe half his pay for the next season he gets to play -- a continuing reminder for him).

Is that crime-and-punishment enough Killer? Or should we deport him back to Canada, since he's now violated Hockey Law and should no longer have any civil rights in this country? :)

Bryan H said...

Simon does forfeit his pay for the 25 games. Perhaps the concussion angle is plausible; I watched the tape again and Simon does look a little dazed as he skates away from Hollweg. However,I still think that a year is justifiable just to send a message. Hopefully, the message sinks in.

ROBOTIMMS said...

Holweg is a dirtbag. The stick glanced off his chin and he played dead for a little while. Interesting how it was such a devastating hit, yet he was back for the next game and up to his usual antics. He and Avery were apparently being dicks the whole game.
Does that justify the attempted beheading...well kinda, but not really. No. They do need to make an example of Simon because it's this type of shit that in recent years has fueled the casual viewers opinion that hockey is more of a violent spectacle than a legit sport.
A lot of people argue that this is what has happened since the instigator rule came about. That since fighting has been nearly eliminated that this is what you'll see more of because the players no longer police themselves. Thoughts on that?

Bryan H said...

Two thoughts:
One, even if Hollweg was playing dead it doesn't excuse the act. Again, he should be punished for the act and not the injury sustained.
Two, as I said, I think fighting has a place in the sport. The instigator rule is tricky, though. I may not object to a fight as retaliation, but I don't want to see headhunting goons having free run at star players.

killer said...

he knew exactly what he did and deserves one year suspension without pay.

brashear and bertuzzi were more premeditated. but to call one worse than the other is not fair. they are all equally unacceptable.

yes we've all felt that retaliatory urge playing hockey, but none of us has gotten into a stick swinging thing like that.

Anonymous said...

deport all the Canadian hockey players that are not US citizens. if they're here, and they're taking US money in the form of JOBS that americans could be doing, therefore they're ILLEGAL

Anonymous said...

sorry, wrong blog.

ROBOTIMMS said...

I agree with that B. All the way. My question is though, do you think that this type of action is more common now because of the crack-down on fighting? Just want to see what you think. Look at all the guys that play that way, NONE of them are fighters really. Holweg, Ruuto(sp) and Armstrong of Pit, there are a lot of smaller guys who are dirtbags that are extremely reckless. This didn't happen as much ten years ago.
I don't think it did because you'd get popped if you f-ed with a star player.

Bryan H said...

pelvic t-hound- I do agree that dirtbags are running around unchecked. Cam Jansen in NJ had a late hit the other day and then there was the questionable late hit on Drury that sparked the big brawl between Ott. and Buff. I think you have a valid point. Where are the Scott Stevens type players? Hard, clean, devastating hits that weren't challenged because they were legitimate. But I still don't get instances like Saturday night where (and I only saw one replay, so maybe there was more) Brashear scores a tough goal in front and instead of celebrating, he cold cocks Brendan Witt who didn't even have his guard up. Guys still must respect each other.