Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Image Was Everything.



I am a few days late with this, but I wanted to salute Andre Agassi for his classy farewell at the US Open last week.

Agassi transformed himself from a young punk (He wouldn't play Wimbledon because he would have had to wear tennis whites.) to a hard-training adult in time to salvage his immense talent and become a legend and ambassador for American tennis. Agassi ditched the mullett and Canon Rebel persona and earned respect for his game and his philanthropy. He had fallen as low #141 in the world rankings some years ago, but used his trademark drive to regain the top spot briefly and win eight Grand Slam titles.

That same drive was on display last week at the US Open. Playing in his farewell tournament despite being hobbled by chronic back pain, the 36-year-old Agassi gave the grateful New York crowds something to cheer about. His second round match against 21-year-old Marcos Bagdhatis (sp?) was spectacular. The always exceptionally fit Agassi fought through his back pain and held on to win a five-set classic. Agassi forced the much younger Bagdhatis to run himself into cramps that hampered his play late in the match. It appeared that Agasssi was buoyed by four cortisone shots in five days and the vocal fans, but I know different. I believe his secret weapon was the Wolske-esque pink sports drink that he sipped at every changeover. Worked for Chris on the ice, why not on the hardcourt as well?

Agassi's farewell tour and sappy Hollywood run ran out of steam in the third round, however. Barely able to bend over for low shots, Andre's famous return game was short-circuited. Sometimes it is difficult to watch athletes stuggle when the end is near, but this time was different for me. I liked what Dick Enberg said during his play-by-play, "Greatness reveals itself under pressure and pain." Agassi counterpunched, playing enough defense to stay in the match. He was overwhelmed, yet almost pushed the match to a fifth set. As it was, he bowed out in four and had to settle for a warm eight-minute standing ovation. Now at 36, with millions of dollars, a hot wife, two young kids and a school he has funded from the ground up, he gets to live out the rest of his American dream. Congrats, Andre for choosing substance and greatness over style and flash.

4 comments:

wolske said...

word up.

I have to say the Agassi farewell got the better of me. His emotion was contageous. And it was class, all the way.

Rob said...

I agree. I've never been a huge tennis fan, kind of like football, I'll just watch the big matches. But this time I too was drawn in, staying up late to watch the first two rounds.

And then there was the rain delay on the weekend, it turned into Agassi day. A lesser player garnering this much attention would have been annoying, (but typical of the media) however it was cool to see classic matches with Sampras, etc... (and just my luck, the same 1st and 2nd round matches that had kept me from sleeping earlier in the week.)

Plus, I actually enjoyed McEnroe's commetary, it was rather insightful at times.

killer said...

i cry when they raise dale hunters jersey to the rafters and im a pussy...wolske cries about andre agassi and nary a word.

ROBOTIMMS said...

Killer, YOU, my friend, are a MAN amongst moops! Andre Agassi will never be GIVEN a penalty box. I guess though, I would cry too if I was saying good-bye to a career that allowed me to hang around with a bunch of Euro-girls in short skirts...ahh, Euro-girls in short skirts.