Monday, October 09, 2006

"Where's the Funny?" and Other Lingering Questions.

A few tidbits that I've been pondering over the past couple of postless weeks:

Will Saturday Night Live ever be funny again? Two weeks in and I've barely mustered a chuckle. The pared down cast was supposed to weed out the waste (Although I do miss Rachel Dratch, the other three outcasts-Finesse Mitchell, Horatio Sanz and Chris Parnell are not missed at all.), but it has been incredibly unfunny. The sketches have simply been boring. Speaking of boring, Studio 60 has been a complete bust in my mind. I have laughed a bit, however, the show lacks the heart that Aaron Sorkin's other projects, SportsNight and The West Wing possessed. Smarmy people pretending to be funny is not funny. It would also help if the comedy sketches in the fictional comedy show-within-the-show were funny. Anyway, I'm not ready to give up on it, but it needs to kick into gear soon. Tina Fey's show-within-a-show, debuting this week, may be our last shot at some skecth comedy comedy this season.


Don't the people in the Philadelphia Eagles organization who are ripping Terrell Owens for ruining their team realize that they did that to themselves? Despite seeing what a bad teammate and person he was in San Francisco, the Eagles fell all over themselves to get this guy. It is revisionist history to say they were surprised by how his tenure ended. Shame on the Dallas Cowboys for falling into the same trap this season. No matter his on-field talents, his off-field turbulence is a cancer that can destroy any team.

Attended the Caps home opener Saturday. High times as the Caps punished the defending Stanley Cup champ Hurricanes behind outstanding performances from the two Alexanders. My only minor beef? Can't we come up with a catchier season slogan than - Caps Hockey. See it. Feel it. ? Owner Ted Leonsis is supposedly a marketing genius. I think a 5th grade class could come up with something less generic. Over the course of the game and a few beers, Killer, Wolske and I came up with a few marketing slogans (most of which had to do with the unfortunate last name of right wing and budding superstar Alexander Semin). The best, hands down, from the brain of Mr. Wolske: "Ovechkin-Russian for Fuckin-a."


Think those baseball Hall of Fame voters who left Negro League legend Buck O'neill one vote short of election in June don't feel ashamed right now? It's been announced that he'll be enshrined post-humously. What an indignity for one of the great caretakers of the game.


Finally, I danced a jig this weekend with my fellow Yankee haters. Good riddance! Nice work, A-Rod! Fire Torre! Wait, fire Torre? The man has made the playoffs in all eleven seasons he's coached the Yanks. He restored them to prominence after Big Stein nearly detroyed them. He won four rings in eleven seasons, which is about as good as it gets unless your name is John Wooden or Red Auerbach. And I think this season may have been Torre's finest season yet. He dealt with the loss of Matsui and Sheffield and a sub-par year from A-Rod. If Torre could pitch they'd have been just fine. Now that he hasn't won a World Series in a whole six years, Torre is on the hot seat. O's fans would kill to have such problems. Of course, as I'm writing this I hear that today is the tenth anniversary of the Jeffrey Maier/Rich Garcia debacle. If not for those two asses the last decade of the O's-Yanks rivalry might look a whole lot different. Excuse me while I go stick another needle in my Derek Jeter voodoo doll.

4 comments:

ROBOTIMMS said...

No, SNL will never be funny again, as it hasn't been particularly funny for years...they're merely blessed by someone who actually has genius that they either completely drain, make a completely stupid off-shoot movie for, or play out to the point of overkill. Either way you look at it they have a way of ruining comedic genius. I HATE to see Amy Poeler wasting away there...anyone remember Upright Citizens Brigade? She's awesome, and I kinda have a strange thing for her. As for funny...Always Sunny in Philadelphia is where it's at...we shoulda listened to Wolske...Chris, you were our ticket out of obscurity and if those guys can do it so could we.

As for the Caps game...what a show you guys had! I tab the Caps as the easts darkhorse...they WILL make the play-offs...you guys might just have a very exciting team this year. Wish we coulda been there.

Bryan H said...

I too have a bit of a crush on Amy Poehler. As for the Caps, I hope you are right about the playoffs (I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself, yet) and we would have love to have had you guys there. We did, however, run into an old friend from the distant past. i won't continue here, but I'll fill you in soon Roberto.

ROBOTIMMS said...

WAS IT YOUR BUDDY THAT WE PICKED UP THE NIGHT THAT WOLSKE SAID THAT THE TRAIN STAION WAS OVER HERE...NO NO...OVER HERE!!!???

WAS HE FRESH OUTTA PRISON THIS WEEKEND TOO!!!???

ROBOTIMMS said...

Oh and Amy Poehler, she's cute, but man she is funny. I think thats what gets me.