Wednesday, February 21, 2007

No Skateboards, Bicycles or Roller Skates. Yeah, right.



I visited an old friend this morning. Wanting to soak up the 50-degree heat wave I went to Fairfeld park to shoot some hoops and test my knee. While it doesn't possess the "glamour" of Parkside's or WiHi's tennis courts, Fairfield hosted plenty of fun roller hockey action. Parkside had better attendance and probably co-owns, along with Gladiator's basement, the title of birthplace of KNK Vending. WiHi scores points for some of the priceless moments enjoyed playing there. I mean a certain shirtless roommate never burnt his nipples off sliding bare chested across Fairfield's court. Rob never drunkenly feared he was having a heart attack at Fairfield. And I can still hear the buzz of St4rbux's Protege as he accelerated through the dark WiHi parking lot.

Fairfield hasn't changed much. There is a new fence for our sticks to get caught in, but the same death-trap posts are there still eager for a high speed collision as we race for the milk crate. (Pleased to be noting in the photo's background the Fairfield softball diamond forever immortalized in a Broken Leg Production tp commercial.) Though I haven't been on in-line skates since my surgery, as I stood in the sunshine I felt the urge to slip on a hockey sock hat and scuff the hell out of that court with stick marks.

5 comments:

ROBOTIMMS said...

Thats where my hockey career got started. Lotta fun on thursdays for a while. I got knocked out there one time too. Who was that big oaffy guy anyway? I remember just really getting a grip on turning and coming at those damn poles so fast!

Anonymous said...

Ahh... but Fairfield was home to one of the most insensitive, jaw-dropping comments that the shirtless wonder ever gave utterance:

"Grant Fuhr's not....."

Bryan H said...

I forgot all about the Grant Fuhr comment. Certainly a microcosm of the speaker. thanks for the reminder.

birdie said...

good times. good times. Definitely remember several almost broken legs there...mine and robs...quite a few times. Also remember the back court where one of the first roller hockey experiments happened.

Brent

Anonymous said...

Fond memories.

Although I did shudder thinking about how we'd lace up our skates on that bench and roll through dirt and sand to the court -- the sound of sand in skate bearings is like chewing tin foil.

Grant Fuhr isn't what? http://www.legendsofhockey.net/graphinduct/ind03_fuhr01.jpg