Sunday, May 20, 2007

Chuck P. Does It Again.

While I'm sure there are plenty, I've yet to find an author who can top Chuck Palahniuk for creating nutty, fucked up worlds which I love to read about, but pray don't really exist. With Rant, Palahniuk once again walks the line between genius and madman. In my opinion, it doesn't reach the level of my favorites (Choke, Survivor and Fight Club); if you're a fan, however, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. So much goes on in the story that I can't say much about it without issuing a spoiler alert. So I won't go any further. Just know that only from Chuck's feverish imagination can you get a story that interwines rabies, serial killers, car crashes and religion. Enjoy!

5 comments:

ROBOTIMMS said...

I haven't really read any of his stuff. I did try reading Choke, but I of all people found it kinda dark and disturbing. I think it was Choke anyway. Mighta been something else. I know Tara has read a few details out loud to me and I couldn't get into it. I used to read a lot of William S. Burroughs stuff and that is truly disturbing, but fantastical. I think the thing that makes Chuck P moreso is that it seems that it could be real.

Rabid Gerbil said...

I remember when that book was sitting in the back room due to a strict on sale date. You couldn't wait for it to break...

Im glad it wasn't a disappointment for you.

Hope Bargain doesn't look too bad.... :)

Rob said...

I read too fast... I thought Public Enemy was recording again...

Rob said...

yeeeaaaah..... Booooooyyyyyyy!!!!

Bryan H said...

Thanks for checking in Gerbil, though your name scares me. Indeed, i did enjoy Rant, but it did dissapoint me. Palahniuk crammed a lot of unweilding story into one book. I didn't want to say too much for those that haven't read it; I think he could have streamlined significantly. I think with Rant and Haunted Chuck has tried to top his own outlandish standard. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. Definitely worth reading though, he always includes scenes that make you laugh out loud at something so distasteful or awful that you can't beleive you are laughing.