Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Let's Go Caps!

I really considered not writing this post. In fact, I probably shouldn't.  By doing so I may anger my friends and alter the course of history.  You see, we hockey fans are a superstitous bunch.  We believe we somehow affect the outcome of a game, series or even a season by the choices we make.  The hockey gods reward or punish us depending on which sweater we choose to wear, where we sit while watching the game,  our pregame rituals and meals, or perhaps the maintenance of our playoff beards.  I have not written about my beloved Washington Capitals all season.  Which is odd because, besides my escapades as a dorky dad, the Caps are probably the thing about which I have blogged most frequently.  I've wanted to write about the Caps; they are in the midst of a terrific regular season.  However, my superstition-addled mind has prevented me from doing so.  The Washington Capitals have never won the Stanley Cup during any season in which I have written a blog post about them.  So, simply by penning this little blog post I am running the risk of ruining the Caps' season.  Of course, folks of sound mind, not afflicted  by years of playoff futilty and curses, you know, normal people, would tell me how silly this notion is.  They might point out that my writing, not to mention what I wear or eat on game day, has zero to do with whether a group of men I have never met win a championship.  They may also point out that the Caps have not won a Cup in the forty years they have existed, not just the ten during which I have blogged.  It is true that they don't need my help in screwing this up.  Since a couple items of Caps news have made me climb back behind my keyboard, I will throw myself upon the mercy of the court.  Blame me if you must  when this goes South.  I'm pretty confident that no matter what happens I am just along for the ride.

Item number one was a column by Dan Steinberg that appeared in the Washington Post last week.   In the column, Steinberg takes to task journalists and Caps fans who have said that what the team has done in the regular season does not matter.  He says that if you can't enjoy the season then you shouldn't even be a fan.  Well first, Mr. Steinberg, you don't get to tell me how to root.  Secondly, the two ideas are not mutually exclusive.  I can enjoy  the regular season (which I am) AND feel that it is all for naught if the Boys in Red flame out in the postseason.  I have been punched in the goobers enough times by this team to be cynical. 

We fans know the team is excellent so far this season, but truly, it can not change the overall tenor of how we feel about this franchise until April, May, and (cross your fingers) June.   Mr. Steinberg likely can't comprehend how badly I want this team to win.  He must understand, though, regular season records, however historical, are just window dressing.  I can get giddy over the emergence of Evgeny Kuznetsov, appreciate the consistency of the HoltBeast, and marvel at the continuing brilliance of the Great 8 and still call the season a dissapointment if Washington does not make an epic playoff run.  Until this team wins a Stanley Cup, it will be measured by Stanley Cups.  With its ratio of playoff futilty to regular season success, what this team does October to April matters, but not by much.  As soon as the Rangers eliminated the Caps in Game 7 last year, the first thing I thought was that this team can not prove anything to me until next April.  As April approaches, the song remains the same. Show me.  Don't tell me about potential based on this awesome regular season. Show me in the postseason. 

The other bit of news this week was the trading away of Brooks Laich.  Laich was the longest tenured Cap and, by all accounts, one of the nicest men to have donned the Red, White, and Blue.  During Laich's twelve year run in D.C. he was a great penalty killer, probably should have been named captain, and, for a time, rode shotgun with Alex Ovechkin and Nick Backstrom on the top line.  But like those running mates, Laich most symbolizes  the playoff shortcomings this team has endured.  Laich was a good quote, but also a bit of an empty suit.  Said all the right things, but talked a better game than he delivered.  Injuries robbed him of his game the last few seasons, leaving him unable to play up to the most recent contract he was stupidly given by George McPhee.

I like Brooks and wish him well in Toronto.  What I don't like are the fans that feel the Capitals betrayed Brooks Laich.  Hockey is a  business and, frankly, I am surprised GM Brian McClellan was able to dump Laich's bloated salary.  I have read message board comments (my first mistake) berating the Caps for trading away a good soldier like Brooks Laich while on the cusp of winning a Stanley Cup.  These commenters are what I like to call...stupid.  Firstly, if future President Trump ordered me waterboarded for my true opinion, I would say the Caps will not win the Cup this season.  Secondly, McClellan's only responsibility is to make the team better.  He did that by freeing up some salary cap space with the trade.  We thank Laich for his service, but Washington did not owe him a shot at the Cup this year.  After all, he has been here for all the failures; it is not like he has been playing for a team that has never reached the playoffs.  Sometimes sports sucks.  I know Laich understands this.  I wish the fans would.  Besides, they don't have worry about Brooksie missing out on a Cup run because I have just put on the blog jinx, right?

No comments: