Monday, April 23, 2007

A New Day.

I neither possess, nor desire to possess, a green thumb. My landscaping consists of the bare minimum of mowing and trimming the weeds. I once proposed that we pave the entire backyard. For some reason Amanda didn't think that was a good idea. Even after I told her we could paint it green. In the past, the lawn care gods have frowned upon my obvious lack of enthusiasm by making life difficult. But today they have turned their frowns upside down, easing my memories of clogged filters, unruly chokes and murky oil/fuel mix ratios.

Today, I plucked my lawnmower from winter hibernation for the first mowing of the year. We had a short talk about making this year better than last and to my surprise I think it listened. With but one pull of the cord the engine sparked to life with a bloodthirsty roar, eager to strike down millions of hapless blades of grass. We conquered the unruly lawn in record time with nary a sputter. However, like a ballplayer who hits three homers on Opening Day, I know it's a long season. There will be ups and downs, broken strings and clogged chutes, but for one day I am pleased. For today, my grass is freshly shorn and my lawnmower and I share a tenuous truce.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my first outing around my yard ended with me releasing all the freon from our AC system back into the atmosphere.

it's going to be a long summer.

Bryan H said...

That's when you go inside and have a beer.

ROBOTIMMS said...

I officially hate yard work! Even though our new yard is about four or five times SMALLER than our old one, it's about five times HARDER to work in!!! We're on a bit of a slope and by time I'm done I'm pretty much just beat down. I miss that old eastern yard with it's soft grass and shadey trees. Well, yoou know my first stab at yard work this year ended with me being sexually assaulted by pollen. Next time, I'm taking a can of mace out with me!

Angela said...

B,
Since you had such a wonderful experience with the lawn mower....maybe you can try your luck over here at 108!! I'm dreading my awful hill again this season.

Anonymous said...

wow i can only imagine what your yard must have looked like since i've actually cut my grass three times this spring. can't believe your lawn mower even got through that muck.

Angela said...

Whoever Great Googly Moogly is... they have too much time on their hands if they have already cut their grass 3x.