Wednesday, February 13, 2008

1990's No Longer.

It's apparent, at least from the public drubbings two 90's icons are taking today, that the 1990's are over. The spotlight is shining awfully bright on both Hillary Clinton and Roger Clemens as they struggle to repair reputations and wage different, yet similar campaigns to win public favor.

Clinton has run her losing streak to eight straight primary/caucus defeats to Barack Obama. Uncle Mo' is clearly in Obama's corner as his call for change may just be catching on with voters. For a while Clinton's camp could dismiss Obama's support because the groundswell of attention wasn't translating into actual votes, but that may have changed. He is gaining traction and Clinton's arrogance about being the presumptive nominee may be her undoing. All of her staff changes may be too little, too late. The "Oh well, we'll wait for Texas and Ohio" has a whiff of Guiliani's misguided "wait for Florida" strategy.

Clemens can also blame his arrogance for the pile he's standing in right now. The evidence, with Andy Petitte's testimony being the most damning to date, is heavily stacked against him. Clemens has boxed himself in with angry denials and his tasteless glad-handing of members of the congressional committee. (And shame on the congressmen who got Clemens' autograph and picture as he went door to door on Capitol Hill.) I don't care if Clemens is guilty of perjury; I really don't think any of this should be played out in Congress. Surely the greatest law-making body in the land has more important things to do than monitor grown men playing a child's game. (Oh yeah, some of them do, they are shirking their duties to run for President.) I do, however, want to see the truth about Clemens revealed. My day would be made today if he had the cajones to stop the proceedings this morning and admit on national tv that he took steroids and HGH. I would respect Clemens so much more for that, rather than carrying on what appears to be this sloppy charade. I would know he was a cheat and wouldn't want him in the Hall of Fame, but at least he and his blowhard attorney could skulk off to the shadows.

The thing that most unifies Clinton and Clemens, though, is the fact that their demises may be predicted too early. The pundits could be completely mistaken in both cases. Clinton is essentially tied with Obama in the delegate count and she could easily make up ground if she decides to get nasty. As for Clemens, as unlikely as I think this is, he could be the one that looks honorable and trustworthy after today's hearing. And here's a crazy idea:maybe he's actually telling the truth about not taking performance enhancing drugs. But I'll believe that when I see the grunge-rocking pigs fly by.

4 comments:

Bryan H said...

Before any of you smartasses bust my chops over my first line (which I just reread)-the calendar on my desk also makes it readily apparent that the 1990's are over.

Anonymous said...

crap, I was getting ready to party like it's 1999.

Bryan H said...

you know I was trying to work that in my post but I couldn't make it fit right

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid 2021 is the next time the date is going to fit into the song's meter (even then, only if you sing "twenty-twenty-one")

boy, will I be partying then.