Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thank You, Peter Angelos

Thank you Mr. Angelos, by trading Erik Bedard you saved me 25 dollars this spring. No, not on a ticket; I'll likely still go to a game because I'm a sucker and there are few things better than a sunny afternoon at Camden Yards. You saved me 25 dollars because instead of the the new O's cap I needed to buy I'll be wearing a paper bag over my head. That's right, by trading away one of the last quality pieces of your team, you've reduced O's fans to feel like Saints' or Jets' fans of old-too embarassed to show our faces at the park.

I understand the trade and, truthfully, have mixed feelings about it. Bedard was to be the only reason to get excited about the team every five days. Now, there is little to look forward to this season. On the other hand, I understand the need to raze the team, taking it to street level before building it back up. Andy McPhail, by trading Tejada, Bedard and likely Brian Roberts, has stockpiled some arms and, to an extent, replenished the minor league system. McPhail's track record suggests he should be trusted and this may be a sign that Angelos is finally letting his baseball people make the baseball decisions.

I also take some hope from the example the Capitals have set. They sold off many of their expensive parts, stunk for two years, but now are competeing for a playoff spot with a younger, retooled model. The discouraging difference with the Orioles, however, is that , while they have some very good young prospects, I don't think they have a marquee centerpiece like Alex Ovechkin. Asking more patience of Orioles fans is a tricky proposition considering it's been ten seasons since they've had a winning season and haven't won the World Series since 1983. Ah, well, at least I can sew my 25th anniversary World Series patch to my paper bag.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Are they thinking of trading Brian Roberts????