Monday, March 31, 2008

Merry Opening Day!

Forget MLB in Japan. Forget the opener of Nationals Park last night. Today is the real opening day. Hope springs eternal on one of the great sports days on the calendar. Even the Orioles, for a few more hours at least, are undefeated.

In honor of the O's opener I've posted this link to a YouTube video of former O's Superfan Wild Bill Hagy (RIP Wild Bill, RIP). If you were an O's fan in the 80's you know that Wild Bill was the scraggily-bearded cabby that led the crowd in cheers-most notably spelling out O-R-I-O-L-E-S from the upper deck. The video is kinda long (about 7 minutes), but I promise it is entertaining from start to finish. A Baltimore news magazine follows Wild Bill through a typical gameday experience. From cab, to bar, to game and beyond. You'll laugh and be wistful for those days when the O's were actually competitive.

Today also marks my first foray into fantasy baseball. I'm hoping for some beginner's luck this summer, but I'm afraid I'm off to a foreboding start. My starting second baseman has been placed on the disabled list to heal from an anal fissure. That can't be good; hopefully that doesn't mean my fantasy team is in for a similar fate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well great start for the o's. opening day loss at home to the rays......gonna be a loooooooooooong season for you and other long suffering fans of this ruined team.

Anonymous said...

You can't make this stuff up ... an anal fissure?

*shaking head*

Good luck in fantasy-land. :-)