Tuesday, March 25, 2008

So Convoluted, I Had To Root For The Bleeping Rangers.

Leave it to playoff hockey to get me off my ass to write again. I say playoff hockey because, even though the regular season isn't over, the race for the last spots in the Eastern Conference is essentially do-or-die each night. The Caps, after tonight's shootout win in Carolina are 2 points out of eighth place and 4 points out of the division lead. It couldn't be much tighter and my heart couldn't be beating much faster. With the Caps stinking in recent years I had forgotten how fun/difficult/gut wrenching that it can be to watch these games. I lean in to every shot, wince at every pinged post and generally dance around like a dope. Tonight, I didn't sit for the entire third period. I'm not sure I'll make it if the Caps actually reach the postseason.

Tonight's Caps game had all the disheartening elements of previous Washington playoff disappointments. As a Caps fan you almost expect the fluky deflection from 40 feet out and a goal that should have been waved off because Erik Cole plowed into the goalie's head before the puck scooted across the line. (I know the defenseman pushed Cole into Huet, but that was only after Cole initiated contact with the goalie.) The dubious refereeing was also disappointing. By dubious, I don't mean bias or favoritism against Washington; if anything I think the NHL would want Ovechkin and the Caps in the playoffs. I just think the officiating is as poor as it is inconsistent. Numerous hooks, holds, trips and cross-checks went uncalled while both teams were nailed for silly, ticky-tack infractions. Make up your mind zebras-call them all or none.

Despite all the disheartening stuff I still believe, if they get in (which is a huge if), that this Caps team can slay the Ghost of Playoffs Past. Alex Ovechkin and the other youngsters have a determination and resillency that past teams have lacked. They will certainly make things exciting. Like eight years as President prematurely ages a man, I think eight weeks of playoff hockey might speed my calendar. Oh well, I'd gladly wash that gray right outta my hair (which I need to do anyway) in exchange for attending a Stanley Cup parade.

2 comments:

ROBOTIMMS said...

These games are getting good! I was checking up on all the scores last night. Root for the Rangers my ass! The Flyers have had two BIG wins against them in the last week! They are working their way back up in the standings...I think their slump is over. I bet you were hoping for a Boston loss though, wouldn't that have gotten you the eighth spot? I'd like to see the Caps make...I'm back to being a closet Caps fan again and how could anyone not be with Ovechkin? Easily my favorite non-Flyer! How it is that he isn't the NHL poster boy and Crosby is I don't know. I hope he goes mad and nets 70! I'd love to see Ovechkin out succeed that whiny prick in every way possible. Even if that were to mean that the Caps had to beat the Flyers in the conf finals to do it...or maybe not. I just hate Crosby that much.
The officiating in this league just all out sucks! Game in and game out it's a joke. Last night Jagr was pretty much twisting Kimmo Timonens arm and Timo was called for holding. The officiating wasn't nearly as bad in the Rags/Flyers game as the VS commentators...those guys are the absolute worst on TV period. They shouldn't even be allowed to call the play-by-play on a schoolyard kickball game...they flat out stink. They were constantly getting names wrong, plays wrong, planets wrong, I'm not sure what game they were even watching.
Anyway, bring on the playoffs! I shaved for the last time on Monday...hopefully that isn't premature...

Anonymous said...

robert you're not allowed to start it until after sunday!! no cheating!!