Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A "Gamble" I Don't Think I Can Make.


A few days ago, in response to my brief post lamenting the dearth of quality presidential candidates, St4rbux suggested Bob Barr as a posssible alternative. So I checked http://www.bobbarr2008.com/ for some info knowing that he is libertarian and that, therefore, I would likely favor some of his positions. I found that I do agree with Bob Barr on many issues and disagree on others. Of course, this is normal; it's unlikely that I would ever completely agree with any candidate on every issue. So I'm thinking that maybe I can vote for this guy. It wouldn't just be a protest vote "against" the major party candidates, but instead a vote for somebody I can believe in.

Then I looked a little closer at his vice presidential running mate, Mr Wayne Allyn Root. Where have I heard that name before? More accurately, where have I heard Mr. Root's voice before, introducing himself somewhere over the airwaves? I couldn't put my finger on it until Google and Wiki shed some light. Oh, yeah. Wayne Allyn Root is, among other (some even noble) things, a loud, self-promoting gambling and sports betting handicapper. For many years I've heard his commercials on sports talk radio touting his amazing sports prognostications. I don't think I can vote for a vice presidential candidate that calls himself the King of Vegas and shouts about over/unders and the morning line. What, Art Schlichter wasn't available? Who is in line to be chief of staff, disgraced NBA ref Tim Donaghy? Mr. Root, if I need some info on the best three-team parlay for the opening NFL weekend, you're my guy. A heartbeat away from the Oval Office? Not so much.

So, I'm back to square one. Vote for the candidate of change? Vote for John Mccain, he of the campaign that has an advisor that today said "John McCain does not speak for the McCain campaign"? Vote for Barr just because he is somebody different even though I can't back his VP? Not Vote? Of course, I can always do what I did in 2004-write in dear old dad.

6 comments:

The Bass Player's Wife said...

Funny you feel this way, because Wayne Allyn Root is the reason I am even considering a vote for Barr!

Anonymous said...

Oh, go ahead and do it--living in the state we do, you know Obama's going to win anyway. My husband converted my to some of his libertarian thinking, so that's what I did in '04--a throwaway "protest" vote. Strategery! :)

Rob said...

Is Admiral Stockdale available?

The Bass Player's Wife said...

Karen hit the nail right on the head, unless, of course, Maryland does what they were threatening and sends the delegates who are pledged to the overall winner of the popular vote. My father was so po'ed about that, until I pointed out that it might actually work in his favor ("his" being Dad's, because that's what really counts, right? You all wait with bated breath for the opinion of Gary Hutson.)

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Root, and your points are all valid. But his press photos look like Darrell Hammond, who portrayed Bill Clinton on SNL, so it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch for me.

As far as the Vice Presidency goes, "not worth a bucket of warm spit" as the 32nd VP himself said. Do you sleep well at night knowing Cheney is a hearbeat away?

I'm not expecting to be wow-ed by Obama or McCain's running mates either.

Bryan H said...

All true St4rbux-he just seems like such a cheeseball. and I agree that there will likely be very little "wow" factor from the other VP noms.