Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Wussification Of America Continues.

I'm no macho man. In fact, I'm kind of a wimp. As a kid I was a shy, introverted scaredy-cat. I'd like to think, however, that I have enough grit to teach my soon-to-arrive daughter that sometimes you have to face a challenge head-on instead of running away. I will tell her that you won't always be successful, but that sometimes failure helps you learn. I certainly hope I teach her to try. Unlike the league administrators and parents in New Haven, Connecticut who have banned a nine-year-old boy from pitching in his youth baseball league because he throws too hard and his team is too good. Full story from ESPN here.

Throws too hard? To me it's as simple as this- if he is of an eligible age (and he is, the league is 8-10) then he should be allowed to play. Baseball, at any level, can be dangerous. A flung bat, crashing outfielders, and a hit back through the box can bruise, maim and even kill. That is why players are equipped with helmets, catching gear and, at this age level, softer balls that cause less damage than traditional baseballs. If parents are so afraid for their child's safety then they should keep them on the sidelines.

My real beef with this ruling is that it appears, according to other reports I've read and heard, to be driven by parental complaints that Jericho Scott pitching too hard is not fair to their kids. Scott hits 40mph on the radar gun. I don't know what that equates to for an adult and I don't care because it is irrelevant. If your kid can't hit Scott's fastball help him practice to be a better hitter. Don't tell him that we'll eliminate the tough challenge so you don't have to face it. Not everything will come easy.

As a seven-year-old ball player I struck out a lot and was hit by the ball far more often than I hit it. (Seriously, I sucked.) There was a dominant pitcher who nobody wanted to face because he was so good and it hurt so bad when he unintentionally drilled you in the back. Yet nobody suggested he play second base instead of pitch. Should Michael Jordan have been forced to play with one hand tied behind his back because, gosh, with two hands he is so much better than everyone else? Of course not.

These are the same parents who would come into Barnes and Noble and request the shortest book on their kid's summer reading list because, "My kid will never read anything that thick." Yeah, To Kill A Mockingbird will be so taxing. Wouldn't want it to get in the way of all the X Box playing. Are you going to write the paper for them too? I have worked with teens and college students that evidently have parents who heap the praise by the bucketload. I'm all for being supportive and building self-esteem. However,I shouldn't, as a manager, have to pat you on the head and give you a cookie everytime you complete the most mundane and routine of tasks that, oh by the way, we are paying you to complete.

I have a news flash for these parents: Some kids are smarter than yours. Some kids are better singers than yours. And some kids can hit the fastball better than yours. You know what? That's okay. Instead of crying about it, or worse yet not believing it, help your child learn, grow, improve in whatever they do. Support them without coddling them. Teach them without knocking down every hurdle before they reach it. Because in real life people keep score.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

see also: women's softball pulled from the Olympics because it's too "American" (ie. They Dominate). except Japan beat them for the gold... whoops.

what if they let that pitcher play up a level, against older kids? that might not be a terrible thing.

as an aging hockey player, I appreciate the importance of playing within the appropriate range of ability -- I don't want to be the worst guy in A/B league, but I don't want to be the best guy in C league either...

Bryan H said...

I think they have offered to move the kid up a level which makes sense as far as his pitching. But because he would also play other positions and would bat it's possible that now he may be overmatched in those areas. Would this be fair to him? I'm not sure.

Anonymous said...

this is the same reason why it took us so long to reclaim our basketball gold on a world level. there is no fire in Americans anymore. let's not keep score, and hit McDonald's on the way home. we have always been outworked in the research department (see german and japanese cars for one.) this will just further the "one for all" attitude that will make us all homogonous...sad really.

Brent

Anonymous said...

"we have always been outworked in the research department"? no way.

American research and innovation launched many of the initiatives that the Germans and Japanese used to increase productivity and quality; they were just smart and disciplined enough to implement and stick with the programs, where American business got lazy/sloppy.

Despite all the doom and gloom declarations of this election year, the US continues to be on the forefront of research and development. It's just seems to be more fashionable to lament that America's time has passed.

There's plenty of fire left in Americans, as long as the government doesn't regulate away all the profit potential (see stem-cell research, alternative energies, energy speculation).

uhh, what was the point again? oh yeah, if the Kid can't hit at a higher level, well, isn't that like ML pitchers -- they can't hit against the best either.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about American research and innovation, but on the matter of the ball player, I think it's ridiculous that they won't let him pitch. He's 9 yrs old, he should be allowed to play in the 8-10 yr old league. Poor kid.