Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Maybe I Was Wearing Beer Goggles.

A tease. A flirt. That's exactly what the Washington Capitals ice hockey club is these days. Washington is the hot girl in a bar-all sexy, exciting and alluring-right until she breaks your heart by not giving you the time of day. Sunday she made eyes at me from across the bar when she dismantled the Pittsburgh Penguins and punked uber-crybaby Sidney Crosby. (I'm not going to really wail on Crosby here, but I will just say that Crosby calling anyone, let alone Alex Ovechkin, a "pu**y", as he did on Sunday, is the height of irony.) So, last night, emboldened by years of flirting and Sunday's eye contact, I made my move and tried buying her a drink. My reward? Washington through the drink in my face; her third period meltdown was as ugly as it gets. Now I will not trust her again. Oh sure, I'll keep my eyes on her, checking her out from across the room, but if she wants to dance she'll have to ask me; I'm tired of being rejected. Translating my mangled metaphor- I'm through believing the Caps will have any real success in the playoffs until I actually see it.

The Caps were outclassed by a superior opponent last night in a game in which Philly was missing one their best scorers and one of their best shut-down defensemen. The Caps' deficiencies have turned chronic. Their defensemen refuse to put a body on an opposing forward. On the Flyers' third and fourth goals (in a 4-2 victory, don't forget) Jeff Schultz could have disrupted the play by putting a shoulder into someone. The fourth goal was especially poor. The Flyer forward (I'm too lazy to look up which fourth line hack it was) skated across the face of the goal as Schultz flailed his stick at the puck. Schultz-For Christ sake, you are a huge man. Put your shoulder into his chest and dislodge him from the puck. You are allowed to do that. I would rather you step up and miss the check than weakly attempt to stick check him.

The Caps were again whistled for nine penalties and could have been called for a few more. Apparently, somebody on the team is getting tired of it. Brooks Laich, via the Washington Post-"...we just seem to take lazy, undisciplined, sometimes they can be criticized as selfish penalties. Every game we shoot the puck in our own zone over the glass. We've got to limit that. We spent basically [the second period] shorthanded." So Brooks' grammar wasn't perfect in that quote, but you get the idea. I wish I could find text of his quote that I heard on the radio this morning. He was harsher and relayed that the players are all grown-ups and should be responsible for taking care of this problem themselves. Coach Boudreau seemed less sure about that saying benchings could be imminent.

These penalties and a boatload of missed chances (three shorthanded breakaways!) cost the Caps last night and will continue to plague them if not corrected. I want so badly to believe they can do it, but maybe it was the beer goggles tricking me all these years, because the Caps sure looked ugly last night compared to that chick from Philly. (Who, for the record, I wouldn't go home with if it was closing time on Armageddon Day.)

6 comments:

ROBOTIMMS said...

You shoulda kept that hat...

The guy who got that goal was Aron Asham...3rd of the year. Who was the missing scorer?

Bryan H said...

Briere was missing, no?

ROBOTIMMS said...

Who? Oh, I've forgoten old pasty. He's been gone all year and I don't miss him and his ludacris contract one bit. It doesn't look like the team misses him much either. He's a player they should have never gone after and now they'll likely have to move somebody productive to make cap space to bring him back in. They're also handcuffed come trade day because of his ridiculous salary. The only time I've ever liked him is when he slipped a holy shit live on VS after netting the game winner in a shootout. He's useful on the power play and thats about it.

ROBOTIMMS said...

THe Vampire LeStat isn't really a lead scorer either. Thats prolly cause he misses afternoon games because he can't climb outta his coffin.
You know the Flyers are likely to have 6 20+ goal scorers this year. Thats pretty impressive. Carter was leading the goal scoring race until a week or two ago when AO had his hat trick game and took over.

Anonymous said...

"Oh sure, I'll keep my eyes on her, checking her out from across the room, but if she wants to dance she'll have to ask me; I'm tired of being rejected."

dude, you're so married. you'll be there in the 400 seats, beside killer and I (god willing), and you'll like it.

you saw that on-his-back goal the other night-- the guy is a goal-scoring machine and a legend before his own time. I was about to say that it's possibly he wouldn't deliver Stanley's Cup to DC, but has there ever been anyone so dominant that hasn't delivered?

ok, so now I jinxed him...

Anonymous said...

I want the defensemen to HIT someone!!! I'm tired of the stupid hooking penalties. If I wanted to watch a matador in action, I'd go to Spain, not watch the Caps.
Brent