Monday, March 30, 2009

Hold the Swagger, Please.

LET'S GO! I'M READY TO KICK SOME ASS! I'M READY TO RUN THROUGH A WALL! THESE GUYS ARE DEAD MEAT!

Oh, hi. Sorry, I'm just a little too jacked up on testosterone thanks to my new deodorant-Old Spice Gameday. I don't see what naming something Gameday has to do with how it smells either, but this is where I ended up. You see, normally I try to find a deodorant that does not have an overpowering scent, like Old Spice Original. However, lately, at least in Annapolis and my shopping radius (though it is still listed on the website), I have been unable to find the Original scent of anti-perspirant/deodorant. (Hey, you got your anti-perspirant in my deodorant! No, you got deodorant in my anti-perspirant!) I have found the Original scent deodorant alone, but this sweat machine I call a body needs heavy anti-perspirant reinforcements in the battle against B.O. Some people think B.O. is rugged and manly; I do not.

Dissapointed that the Original scent anti-perspirant was nowhere to be found I set out to find the least obtrusive scent available. Unfortunately for me, the chemists and the creative folks at Old Spice think it's necessary for guys to have 42 deodorant flavors to choose from. Then they assign them some of the dumbest names. Scanning the shelf presents the same problem I have when trying to buy handsoap, Gatorade or a slushie-What do all these cheesy names actually smell/taste like? I'm popping off lids, sniffing away, trying to sort through Arctic Blast, After Hours, Showtime, Pure Sport, Pacific Surge and Mountain Rush. What no Boom-Boom Berry Blast or Coniferous Breeze ? Finally, despite the fact that after a game I sometimes smell like three day old garbage, I settle on the Gameday flavor. It has the least overpowering scent and, not that I really care, sounds a little manly. At least more so than Ski Slope or Foaming Surf.

So I get home, apply a few swipes of the new stuff and relay my tale to my wife who proceeds to snicker and tell me I smell like a woman. Thanks Old Spice!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have to remove the caps to smell? huh, who knew?

try degree clinical protection...a little more expensive, but it works without all the scent. i was on old spice for awhile, but this is better.

brent

karen said...

Brent...that's just wrong.

I dunno--I think Coniferous Breeze sounds pretty good!

Rob said...

So, if I read this correctly, Amanda said you smell like Jagr?

I had the same dilemma finding my old standby, RG sport stick, fresh scent. It seems, that Gigantor-Mart only wants to carry what they want to sell us, not what we would like to buy. I have no interest in Power Strip technology, at twice the price to boot. Plus, I would rather not smell like a teenager who went crazy with his AXE spray on. I'd much rather smell like a circa 1990 teenager, just like I have for the past twenty years.
Luckily, I still had a spare in my travel kit, now I buy two or three at a time when it is in stock.

Stephen said...

You gotta be careful sniffing the deodorant in the store ... the plastic protector cap thingy can throw off the real scent. LOL

I have been fortunate that Giant still carries the original scent. Next time you're in town, try to pick up a few.