Monday, February 27, 2006

Bork, Bork-Go Crazy Sweden, You Just Struck Gold!


I wish that everyone that has been a casual hockey fan or who has even shown an interest in hockey could have watched Sunday's Olympic gold medal game featuring Sweden versus Finland. The game was so action-packed that I believe it could have converted many fence-sitters into full blown fans. I maintain that, unlike some sports, hockey is best when viewed in person. But if you can't be there live, then I think a game like yesterday's was the next best thing. It had a little bit of everything: Strong goaltending, wide open end-to-end action, a few big hits, smooth passing and a frantic Finnish finish.

The two young goaltenders, Antero Niitymaki and Henrik Lundquist, were tremendous. I can't remember any amazing, standing-on-their-head saves, but they made many tough saves through traffic using textbook positioning and quick reflexes. This type of goaltending is often overlooked and underappreciated. I was happy to see that Niitymaki's silver medal performance earned him tournament MVP.

I was also impressed with the energy of the two teams despite the fact that each was playing their eighth game in twelve days. Finland's Niklas (Don't call me Larry) Hagman was a hummingbird buzzing all over the ice all game long. Peter Forsberg belted Ruutu early in the game setting the physical tone. I love watching Forsberg play. He can score, deftly pass, deliver big hits and I'm not sure that there is a better stickhandler in traffic anywhere in the world. As fun as it is to see a player deek somebody out of their shorts, I prefer to watch a player like Forsberg dangle, cradle, tap and shield the puck as he picks his way through multiple defenders.

Most of all, the game was plain fun to watch. You had great players, a Finland TEAM (a novel approach don't you think USA and Canada?) not expected to play that deep into the tourney, loud chanting fans, and excellent coverage and production by NBC. I loved that the bronze and gold medal games were played without commercial interruption. Fewer TV timeouts=better flow= better hockey. I could also get used to waking up to live Sunday morning hockey. Apparently nobody watches the NHL in primetime; why not weekend AM games. Finally, the game had an exciting conclusion that wasn't decided until Sweden cleared their zone with just a few seconds to play. Since I had no rooting interest overall, I was pulling hard for Finland to tie it up, just so I could see some OT or even a shootout. The game was so great I wasn't ready for it to be over. So pass the swedish meatballs, the swedish fish and anything else remotely Swedish that I can moronically squeeze into this post. It's time to celebrate the gold.

2 comments:

wolske said...

Sounds like a great game, but I couldn't watch after the shame that was Team Canada. I probably won't be able to watch any hockey again until it's time for the Leafs to blow it in the playoffs. Assuming they even make the playoffs...

ROBOTIMMS said...

Ok, so I pretty much had the luxury of catching nearly every game except the early A.M. ones. Some of these games were classics. These were some of the most exciting games I've seen in a long while, and would you believe I missed the gold medal game! WTF!