Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Redneck Rubberneckers

What is it that turns people into onlookers, bystanders, gawkers, rubberneckers? Amanda and I were outside tonight when we heard fire engines scream by one street over. The passing sirens proved too tempting so we hopped in the car and followed the billowing smoke plume that we spotted as soon as we turned the corner.

Was it simply curiosity or was it nosiness that pulled us into action? I certainly don't delight in someone else's misery(it was a business, by the way, and it sustained a bit of damage), yet without someone's misfortune there would have been no fire to excitedly chase. I'd love to think it's the journalistic instincts in me, but more likely it's just the fact that I wouldn't want "to miss out" or "not know what's going on". Of course, we were hardly alone in our pursuit. There were people flocking from everywhere. People taking pictures, mothers showing their children, and that one guy with the giant antenna on his truck who was probably sitting by his police scanner when he heard the call come over.

I do find it fascinating to watch the firemen do their job. I also always make it a point to drive or park away from the action to eliminate any possibilty of being in the way of any other arriving equipment. Some of my fellow gawkers are not so kind. I would hate to make a situation worse just because I had "to see what's going on".

We hardly ever do it, but when we do chase a fire engine, I always feel a little hinky about watching someone else's property burn.

7 comments:

Rob said...

You have valid point, is it innate or learned? I remember hopping into the old 72 LTD II, to run over to the old mall and watch the civic center burn down. I was four, and since we were at grandparents house when the siren went off, there were three generations of us watching as the largest building in town burned to the ground. Unfortunately that is the type of thing that sometimes gives leverage to future conversation... "Oh, yeah... Well, I remember the day the civic cinter burned down." or... "well, I saw the circus in the old civic center, before it burned down."

Maybe it too was foreshadowing of my future career choice. But I felt like a hired vulture having to chase ambulances and fire trucks with my camera.

Good post B, you really captured the spirit of the thing.

Anonymous said...

Hear Hear Bryan! You often give voice to things most people have in common but leave unsaid, undiscussed. It would make great fodder for a newspaper column. Kind of like Seinfelf was about "nothing"....you give great insight into what we are really all doing or thinking. Keep it up. Am really enjoying your blog.
Mary

ROBOTIMMS said...

Was Budweiser or some "Hard Cider" involved as well? Did you have a fresh dip in too? Did you at any time shout burn baby burn? Do you know all firefighters that were present...by thier nicknames?

Anonymous said...

Roberto questions were not rehtorical Bryan....they were are hard hitting and deserve some obfuscating type West Wing Press office scene answer.

Anonymous said...

Hinky? What the hell is that? *cracking up*

Nice post man. Keep dropping the knowledge.

ROBOTIMMS said...

Oh Aunt Mary I have more, I'm outting the "Closet Redneck" in Bryan. Did you bring hotdogs and marshmallows? Did you try and "help" direct traffic? Was the local news there and did you start yelling "Hey TV man, put me on TV!" "Hey, I'm on TV!" "HEY TV MAN, PUT ME ON! PUT ME ON!"

Anonymous said...

Roberto and Bryan,
God has a sense of humor....we were right smack dab behind a bad accident yesterday and yes....Bob had to direct traffic until the authorities got there and then for some time after that! I guess I can't talk....ALTHOUGH we didn't actually drive to the accident scene...BTW Bryan, did you bring Marshmallows....just kidding...who loves ya babe.
Mary