Thursday, February 01, 2007

Smokin'

One of the few benefits of my less than ideal new retail work schedule is that I can watch weekday movie matinees in peace. Today, Amanda and I watched Smokin' Aces. Okay, I'll wait for you to stop your chuckling. Are you done? Seriously, this was a pretty good flick. That is, if you like your escapist entertainment full of fun, gratuitous violence. The only thing bigger than this movie's cast was the body count. In the same vein as Pulp Fiction (but not nearly as strong as that classic), Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, this story shows the calamitous results that occur when twisting storylines and offbeat characters intersect.

Ryan Reynolds buries Van Wilder and Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place with a strong performance as a federal agent. I enjoyed Ray Liotta and Ben Affleck because they came in small doses which is about all I can stand of those two. Throw in the beautiful Alicia Keys as a fishnet stocking-clad contract killer and a host of other sorta stars and familiar faces and you've got quite an eclectic cast. While there will assuredly be no Oscar nominations for this pic, it is worth two hours on a rainy day. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Rob said...

I need to learn how to read a little slower, or maybe it is the way my brain is wired... I glanced at the screen and I could've sworn you had watched STROKER ACE.... not Smoking Aces... Stroker Ace, with not Ryan Reynolds, but Burt Reynolds, complete with the big chicken suit... therefore, I chuckled at great length, almost out loud.

killer said...

you are a goofball...i bumped into women on purpose this week to test your theory and i bumped into about 50 of them so i guess you're right...

Anonymous said...

Love the new background! It's the same colors as Mullenberg's football team. Cool!!